What I read - June 2016


Hey guys, something you probably don't know about me is that reading is something I'm really passionate about. I've been a bookworm all my life and just love how a story can transport you to another worlds and open your eyes to so many new ideas and perspectives. Since I've been trying to make this blog more personal I have decided to write about the books I read during the month of June. I am hoping to make this into a series so I hope you like it!


The Secret River by Kate Grenville 

Set in 1806, The Secret River follows the story of William Thornhill and is centred around the decisions he makes throughout his life. We follow him from his childhood in the English slums to later on in life when he is transported as a prisoner to colonise New South Wales with his family. The story explores topics such as home, class and ownership and we see the contrast between the aborigines and British colonisers.

 This isn't something I would usually choose to read as I did read it for my literature class but it was nice to read a novel that addresses Australia's past. I would rate this text a 3/5 and recommend it if you are interested in Australian history or books written by Australian authors. 


My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman and Henning Koch (translator) 

My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry is a story about a seven year old girl Elsa who's best friend (her grandmother) passes away. Her grandmother leaves her a series of letters in the form of a scavenger hunt which lead her on a path through her grandmothers past and in which causes her to make many unexpected friendships. 

I cannot fault this book, I absolutely love it! I currently have two other books on my shelf by this author and am so excited to start reading. I'm just that obsessed. I rate this book a 5/5 and recommend it to anyone who's in need of a good book to read. 


Love Anthony by Lisa Genova

Love Anthony is a heartfelt novel about two women, Olivia the mother of a severely autistic boy whom recently died and Beth a mother of three who is dealing with stresses in her relationship with her husband. They both live on the small island of Nantucket where they form an accidental friendship. 

I struggled to write a description about this book as the timeline does jump a little with the reading of the characters journals. But I did really enjoy this book and reading about autism was really interesting. The only downside I found was that if felt almost too 'adult' for me, I'm not sure why since I have read about these topics before. Perhaps it was just the way it was written. It is a lovely story and I would have to rate is 4/5. 


The Flywheel by Erin Gough 

The Flywheel is about seventeen year old Del whom drops out of school to run and take care of her fathers dying cafe The Flywheel whilst he is overseas. Together with her best friend Charlie she wrestles with running the cafe, high school drama and her love for the beautiful flamenco dancer across the road. 

This book was a reread for me and I really enjoyed reading it for the second time. I like reading stories that address LGBTQ+ characters and relationships. This is just an amazing book that I think is a 4/5. 


So there we go, all the books I read during June. I hope you found this interesting and not too boring. Let me know if you've read any of these books or any of your favourite books that i should check out. Happy reading! 

10 comments

  1. I think I'll have a look on that "The Flywheel" book, seems super interesting!

    ♥: Jasmin N
    Little Things With Jassy
    Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good!! (: You should check it out

      Jess x

      Delete
  2. Not heard of many of these! I'll be keeping an eye out when I'm next at the book shop!

    gemmaandthelittleblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post!

    Maybe you want to follow each other?
    Let me know on my blog & I'll follow back right away.
    x
    What makes you beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! <3 I'd love to (:

      Jess x

      Delete
  4. These look like such great reads, ahh I wish I spent as much time reading! It's my goal to ease myself back in to it :D I'd love to give the Secret River a read as I adore historical books and novels! I really recommend Helen Dunmore too, her writing is so beautiful and gripping! :D xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara | (lets follow each other on bloglovin or instagram)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty slack when it comes to reading usually, I just had a lot of extra time last month! You should defenitely check The Secret River out if that sounds like something you'd be interested in. I'll have to check her out! :) x

      Jess x

      Delete
  5. Those look like great books! Want to support each others blogs? Follow and Comment on my blog if you do! I will follow you back ASAP :)

    thehomeofkate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top